How often do you think something in your gut but your brain overrides it? Only to literally kick yourself moments later? I think, if you’re anything like me, it will be often. But you can change. Listen to yourself! Or start. The response which everyone gives is ‘just be you’ or ‘be yourself’ to many situations. But most of the time do people really listen to themselves? We analyse situations and go with our brain rather our hearts. Yet, we should listen to our hearts if we want to be happy. It is something which takes time, dedication and self awareness. It’s very hard to do it in today’s society because we are surrounded by opinions and expectations of other people which all equally influence us.
In reality what we should do, is listen completely to what we want as individuals and follow our hearts. Be spontaneous, be happy and just be you.
- Be mindful in situations and everyday life. If you practise mindfulness you will be able to see clearly and be able to stop yourself if you feel like you are going off track. I have recently just made a Bullet Journal and writing monthly goals, lists and planning goals for the day have motivated me and caused me to become more self aware.
- Take care of you. Sometimes, we become to involved in other people’s problems and situations that we forget about our own. When in reality, it is good to take care of other people. It’s brilliant and something I encourage. But, look after you first. You are the most important person to yourself and it’s good to be selfish. Spend half an hour on the day just on you and switch off from the buzz of everyday working life. Go on a walk, write, or exercise. Whatever makes you happy and whatever works best for you.
- Remember to smile. Make others happy and make yourself happy. It is scientifically proven that smiles are contagious. So keep happy and keep positive. Try not to let negativity cloud your mind. There will be days that it will but don’t worry, everyone has those days.
- Don’t live on the worn path. Following certain paths or rules that someone else has gone down or someone else has told you to do does and will not give you any opportunity to listen to yourself at all. If you feel like wearing that jumper someone said they didn’t like, do it! If you like it, who cares? Try each week to do something completely unexpected and spontaneous. You never know what you’ll find on the path less walked and you’ll come to know your inner self so much better.
- Ask yourself questions. Before you can begin to listen to yourself fully you have to ask yourself powerful and deep questions. The ‘whys’ and the ‘hows’. How do you feel about situations? Why do you feel this way? Find ways to overcome this and answer yourself honestly until you think you have found the right answer. If you can’t find it, keep looking for it and eventually you’ll find it.
- Declutter your mind. Another thing about our society is that it is filled with random information. I’d say more that 80% is not even important. Did you need to see Kim Kardashian’s latest selfie? Or next door’s new antique cabinet she is raving about on Facebook? Movies, TV Shows, Social Media, the list goes on. Some days you need to take a break and just listen to your own mind. Forget others opinions. Limit your exposure to social media and get positive throughout your day.
There is many more things you can do to listen to yourself. It is finding the right one for you and the one which works for you, there is no right or wrong way to go about it.
If you have any questions or would like to contact me please email me at email@example.com